Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Macbeth

It seems to soon for it to be over, but our production of Macbeth has indeed come and gone. It was fabulous, if I do say so myself. I was a bit skeptical of the modern twist and large amounts of blood at first, but in the end it all worked perfectly. We had many rave reviews, my favorite of which said "this is the best Shakespeare production I've seen in years outside of the RSC". Go us!

For those of you who are curious, I'm including a bit of said review below the pictures to give an idea of the look of the play.

Helping out the wounded sergeant.



Macbeth and Lady Macbeth dealing with their bloody business.



Macbeth and I having a chat about the terror of the night.



The Weird Sisters. Best part of the play in my opinion.



The porter. The only comic scene in the play. I was really glad I got to be in it until the director told him to drop his pants on stage.



Macbeth and Macduff's fight to the death.



Crowning the new king, Duncan, on the bloody stage.



****
The reveiw:

I've seen professional productions of Macbeth. Hell, I saw Owen Teal play Macbeth and I thought that was amazing. This is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays, and I've seen it countless times since I was 10 years old.

This one was amazing.

The set was simplistically beautiful - a white square, presented to three sides. The props were minimalist, the costume so simple - black white and grey. It felt like watching an old black and white TV show or classic film at first. It made the weird sisters, with their rags and corsetry and lace and colour stand out as something other worldly.

And then came the blood.

And oh God then came the blood.

It's been so long since I saw an audience on the edge of their seats collectively gasping in shock at the sight of blood on a stage. The white floor and mostly black costume made the red stand out right to the back of the hall. When Macduff's small child had it's brains bashed out on the floor, the whole auditorium gasped and winced, despite knowing it was a doll. It was the idea which got to their stomachs, including mine, which completely turned over in shock.

The cast didn't flinch from anything. It was a passionate, wonderful performance by all involved. I wish I'd picked up a programme so that I could praise them by name.

***

2 comments:

Sally said...

"Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather the multitudinous seas incarnadine, making the green one red."

Wow. Sounds like all of us on this side of the globe missed a great show. Too bad for us.

That will surely be a great memory of your year in England!

Enjoy your Easter travels with your family.

Chris said...

So bloody wonderful! Thanks for the pics and commentary. (That Sally, she's so literary.)